A few days ago or it might be a week ago, I read a book named Water For Elephants by Sarah Gruen. It is basically a love story but the setting is in the circus. Well, it was also in the time of Great Depression. I learned some things both educational and not-so educational. I thought to share it with you.
- Jamaica ginger extract is a substance that allows people to by-pass prohibition Laws since the government banned drinking alcohols. Weeks after consumption, the drinker experiences serious side effects. He can’t move his hands and legs at his will. He can’t control his muscles. He also can’t feel his genital.
- Cat is anything that has whiskers, fur and has four legs except I guess rats. Anyways, I learned that cats are also lion, leopard, lynx and tiger. So that was really a news to me.
- Bull, same goes for this. I thought bull is only an animal with horns and gets mad whenever he sees red color. But it can also be an elephant. Trivia: Did you know that bulls with horns are color blinded. When you wave a red handkerchief its not really red they see.
- Roustabout is a laborer. Yes I know the definition is common but it is mostly used in circus term. But you have to admit, It sounds cool
- Liberty Horses are horses that can perform tricks. They follow the command of their owner by a gesture of a whip, signal or any symbols that he is trained. But I don’t know if the horses in the carousel are liberty. They seem stoned to death to me.
- Swell is another term for cool. I never knew English language is littered with slang words. Like the other day I learned what bummer means.
- Menagerie is a collection of group of animals. There exist kinds of cages and stables. Not only circus but zoo are also full of them
- Elephants can consume a large amount of water. Depending on the temperature, they drink from 60 to 70 gallons. That is about 4 months consumption of an average human.
- Eight Pagers are sexy magazines like FHM and Playboy. They simply are drawing, scribbled images instead of a live one.
There are still many to mention. However, if you are interested in the novel you might want to read my review. Also some blogs offer giveaways of the film-tie in novel signed by the director. Yes, there is a movie coming and its soon. And it will be released this month or next month for other countries.